Making a Difference at the Palomar Medical Center Emergency Room Waiting Area for Families and Children
It is a scary time for a child waiting in the emergency room for his or her own care or the care of a loved one. Palomar Emergency Room Kids’ Cozy Corner provides comfort to families and children who are under tremendous stress by supplying the children’s and family waiting area of the Palomar Medical Center Emergency Room with children’s books, coloring books, stickers and games.
New pajamas used to replace torn or missing clothes which were removed in an emergency situation are provided in sizes from newborn to 4-toddler. Parents are grateful to be given pajamas for babies that come into the emergency room in just a diaper and a blanket.
Knit Wits Group provides hand-knitted blankets and over 500 caps to newborns under the umbrella of Palomar Medical Center Kids’ Cozy Corner. They meet monthly and welcome new knitters.
What do Palomar Medical Center nursing supervisors say about the program?
“Everything you are doing is fantastic and a blessing!!” Desiree Hadden, RN, BSN, Supervisor Emergency Department, Palomar Medical Center
A member who chooses to participate in this program might do one or more of the following activities:
- Deliver books, coloring books, stickers and new pajamas to Palomar Medical Center Emergency Room
- Inventory books, coloring books, stickers and new pajamas in sizes newborn to 4-toddler
- Place Assistance League of Inland North County donation labels on books and coloring books
- Place new pajamas in plastic bags for delivery to Palomar Medical Center Emergency Room
- Knit Wits Group: Knit blankets and caps for newborns.